Thursday, July 17, 2008

Neurotic Vacation Preparation

We're leaving for vacation soon, which puts me in an obsessive, freaky frame of mind. I've mentioned my love of lists many times before, but nothing brings out the maniacal list-maker in me more than planning a trip.

I didn't realize how abnormally anal I was until I traveled to Florida with Sheri in May of 2007. In preparation I compiled a travel folder in which I placed our rental car and flight information, informative e-mails between Sheri and her sister (who graciously and generously boarded us), and a printout from weather.com so that we could anticipate rain and sun. What's so strange about that?

Evidently the answer to that question is: the weather printout. I've never heard the end of it.

Recently I created a daily list of vacation-preparation things to do, properly categorized on dull yellow legal paper under the headings Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. and mistakenly left it on my table when Sheri stopped in for her break. "I see you have your list. Have you made your folder yet?" she asked with a wicked gleam in her eye, dragging the word folder through a little puddle of sarcasm.

Like I said, I've never heard the end of it. heh heh.

When I mentioned my Florida folder to mom, she said, "Yeah, and...?" as if it were the most normal thing in the world: who doesn't make a travel folder? Then she proceeded to show me all she had done to prepare for her trip to Alaska this August. Suddenly my self-perception shifted from borderline psycho to laid-back blasé.

More recently I explained to mom that we needed to leave early enough one morning to arrive in time to grill burgers for supper with my dad & Ardy. They live about eight hours away. "You could do what I've done when I've needed to leave early in the morning. The night before, lay out your clothes, shoes, and socks; set out your breakfast; put everything you can into the car; and put toothpaste on your toothbrushes by the sink.

She lost me at the toothpaste bit. First, I cannot imagine being organized enough to accomplish that. Second, Hannah would probably rise before all of us and paint the mirror with five loaded toothbrushes. Or consume all the toothpaste and go into fluoride shock...or whatever happens when a child swallows that much toothpaste. Finally, well, Mom, that's just a little loony.

In my world, "neurotic" is relative...and for once it appears that I'm normal. Relatively.

13 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Just remember as you complete the frenetic preparations for your trip: When you finally get there, perhaps you'll be able to relax, and that's the bonus, right there! BTW, Aunt Julie tells me that cardinals like grape jelly, too! I've posted a "funny" this morning to give you a chuckle and lighten your mood!!

Tara R. said...

I'm a big list maker too, I just lose my lists.

Laurie said...

I, too, can see everything but the toothpaste.

Just Do It Posterchild said...

Hey....one thing you forgot to put on your list...put mail on hold. Don't worry, I know someone who will take care of you!!!

BFF,
Sher

Unknown said...

hi angela ~ you're totally normal to do this. it's all good. when we traveled from alaska through canada and eight states last summer, we had a folder full of stuff. not as much maybe but some goodies.

hope she enjoys visiting MY alaska, hehe. i love living here.

you had me just giggggggling at the toothpaste comments u wrote about.

thanks for all the awesome comments on my bloggy this week. you made me grin. you are awesome, kathleenybeany :)

Just Do It Posterchild said...

I owe you a big oops!!! Saw the hold card...Maybe those lists do help...hummmm!!! :)
Sheri

Angela said...

veggie mom: I HOPE for relaxation. We'll be headed to the Colorado Rockies (the destination of many previous vacations) to camp...in a tent (which is not our typical vacation accommodation).

I'll jump over to check out your story...I could use a good laugh right now!

Angela said...

Tara: I, too, lose my lists, but try to blame it my children as often as possible. :)

Angela said...

Laurie: Yep, I skipped the toothpaste part. It was GREAT seeing you! Can you e-mail me the pics Peter took? I want to post them soon, but I'm waiting a few days...

Angela said...

Sheri: It was on my list, but I almost overlooked it! I went in at the last minute and thankfully found the last change-of-address-form. For a few seconds I was contemplating calling in a favor...but didn't want to owe you! Hee hee.

Angela said...

Kathleen: Wow--I haven't been called normal in a long time! (ha)

Your trip to Canada sounds great. My mom is PUMPED about her trip to Alaska. I told her about you...I think they're even making your hometown their base.

Unknown said...

hi angela ~

your normal comment made me **giggle**

hope she has a blast. i love it here. to live in a postcard is what i call it.

blessings,
kathleenybeany :)

Aunt Julie said...

If you get home from your vay-cay this week, or if you have computer access while you're away: BTW, I'm having another Great Pop'rs Giveaway, starting tomorrow. Aunt Julie really needs the help of all her Bloggy Pals--she's planning a rehearsal dinner for 60 people! Hope you drop by soon!