Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vacation Day One

Vacation. Holiday. R & R. Call it what you want. The Solomon family needed it. This year we are camping in the Colorado Rockies, my favorite place in the world.

Before we had children Carl and I camped just outside of Breckenridge, Colorado over the fourth of July weekend, pitching our tent high up the mountain where two streams converged. Our nearest camping neighbors set up camp about one hundred yards away, but otherwise we were secluded. Beautiful. Carl got rip roaring drunk with our new neighbors the first night while I slept cozily in six layers and when he returned to our tent he crashed, wearing only one pair of long underwear. This proved to be a poor decision when he stepped outside a few hours later, feeling sick and hung over, to find snow on the ground.

Recalling the beauty of that campsite and the fun we had, we decided to find it and camp there this year.

We packed the Tahoe to the brim, made sure the DVD/VHS and headphones worked and left home within an hour of our planned departure time, a miracle that gave us high hopes for the week ahead.





This is one of many stops we made.



We arrived at Pop and Ardy's in time to grill burgers and enjoy conversation. I'm kicking myself for not taking a single picture while we were there.

After breakfast we loaded up again and drove to Denver to meet Laurie and her family IN PERSON! I "met" Laurie online last year when I searched for other dandy families and we hit it off immediately.

I know this is an abrupt ending to this post, but I've run out of time. Tune in tomorrow...well, hopefully tomorrow...to see pictures at Laurie's house and hear about Plan B.

Hey, Laurie--do you have any good pictures of our visit? I'd love to post them if you e-mail them to me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hi angela!

that is so cool that you got to visit with your laurie in person. some people, you just click with. it is an awesome treasure when you find it. i know i am grateful to have found that, too, with certain souls in my life.

the camping location sounded so nice.

safe travels, kathleen :)

Unknown said...

awh angela!

that is so nice. i just noticed you linked to my latest bloggy post on your blog front page. you made me grin. see? here it is again.

(((smiles)))

you are a sweetie :) beany :)

Aunt Julie said...

Whatever you call your Vay-Cay, it's always gonna be fab, 'cause you're on vacation! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for making me jealous. If you have time, please check in--don't forget the Great Pop'rs Giveaway! The more you comment, the better chance you have of winning--Check it out!

Angela said...

Kathleen: I am amazed that the Internet has given me a new friend. Thanks for stopping by!

Veggiemom: I need to get over and COMMENT! Thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

hehehe angela,

you're awesome :)

later you, kathleenybeany :)

Laurie said...

As I can't seem to stop saying, it's a strange world, isn't it? I am still so amazed at our affinity. I will try to post/send you some pictures soon.