Sunday, November 4, 2007

No Hannah? No Way!

What if Hannah were never born?

I've joined a yahoogroup consisting of other people struggling with Dandy-Walker malformations of the brain. Some members are high-functioning adults with Dandy-Walker. They give me hope for Hannah. Others are parents of infants/toddlers/adolescents/every-conceivable-age-child with varying degrees of Dandy-Walker. The members who move me most, though, are those who have just been told their unborn child has a Dandy-Walker defect. Often their doctors recommend abortion.

I am fundamentally opposed to abortion and never would have considered it had I been told Hannah had Dandy-Walker in utero. However, I'm enough of a realist to believe that abortion will exist until the end of time, whether legal or not. According to several posts in my yahoogroup, these same doctors who have recommended aborting Dandy-Walker children have also had to admit that their diagnosis was wrong or greatly exaggerated. Yikes.

Doctors are human beings, just like you and I. Highly educated human beings to be sure, but still fallable human beings. They may have statistical information, years of practice and experience with ungodly amounts of book knowledge, but they do not have a crystal ball. They do not know the future and they cannot predict a miracle.

Most of all, they cannot measure the human spirit.

When I found out I was pregnant with Hannah--and this was WITHOUT knowing she would have Dandy-Walker--I bawled my eyes out. I don't cry easily. I could not imagine handling another child with the limitations I already had. But, as moms do, I grew into the idea and actually looked forward to Hannah's birth. She turned out to be an easy infant and a complete joy.

About two months into her life we discovered the Dandy-Walker. Upon receiving the information from her pediatrician, my first instinct was to call my husband and my mother. However, I waited. I knew that my reaction, whether calm, frightened or frenzied, would influence everyone else's reaction. I called people only after I had calmed down and decided I could and would handle this...hopefully "with the grace of a woman, and not the grief of a child" as an old poem goes.

I've learned that the human spirit is given the strength needed to handle any given situation...right when it is needed and rarely before. If I decide I can or can't handle something difficult based on the strength I have today, I probably can't handle it. But if I plow forward and trust (assuming this is something I am called to do), an unanticipated Strength materializes.

Back to my original question: What if Hannah were never born? What if someone had convinced me prior to her birth that she would be too much trouble, that she wouldn't have a "normal" quality of life and therefore should have no life? I'm at a loss for words. Prior to her birth, I would have never chosen this life. Now I would have it no other way...well...maybe a few less meltdowns...and frankly I wish she was potty trained. But no Hannah? No way!

4 comments:

Just Do It Posterchild said...

Amen, sister!!! Hannah is so special....I know my life would be missing something!!!
Love ya,
Sheri

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you will see this but I had to leave a comment. I read your post and started to ball my eyes out. My 11 month old has DWM. We did not know until she was 4 months old and looking back thank God. I am with you I would never consider abortion. I knew someone was missing from my family of 5 and decided to have one more. Eden was sent to me for a reason and I was told she would be retarted and wheelchair bound. Well she is quit smart and can now sit with a little support. Eden is not going to live by the doctors opinion. She will prove all of them wrong and Who knows what she can accomplish! I have just found out I have either RA or Fibromialiga. So I can relate to you and your crazy life.:-)

Angela said...

Anonymous,
I'm sorry I haven't replied to your comment before now. I wholeheartedly agree, Eden WAS sent to you specifically and she will NOT "live by the doctor's opinion." So far, Hannah has so many things that others' suggested she might not.

My most recent hurdle, and one of the reasons I didn't answer right away, is hearing the results of Hannah's latest IQ test: 69. It's an abysmal number. I'll be returning to blogging largely because of it.

How are you doing with the RA & Fibromyalgia diagnoses? And how is Eden?

If you want to contact me directly, you can do so at solomongirls at yahoo dot com. I hope to hear from you!

Angela said...

I meant to write, "Hannah has *done* things that others (no apostrophe) suggested she might not."

Obviously my writing and editing skills are out of practice!