Thursday, October 18, 2007

You've Come a Long Way, Big Girl

As Katie, Hailey and two neighbor girls ran giggling out my front door, Hannah ran up to me and said, "Pay ahsyee. Me too!" (Translation: Play outside. Me too!)

"Alright, Hannah, but you have to put on shoes and socks," I told her, assuming she would lose interest while dressing.

"OK!" Hannah said excitedly and hurried into her bedroom. I continued cleaning the kitchen until I heard, "Mom! Mee-ooh. Hep me peese. Buhts" (translation again: Mom! Come here. Help me please. Boots.")

When I found Hannah in her bedroom she had changed from her weather-appropriate sweat pants and long sleeves into the stylish ensemble you see here.



I'm including this second picture because it more clearly shows the entire "look," except it's blurry.

" 'Mon mom! (come on, mom!)" Hannah pleaded, so I disregarded my kitchen work (she really had to twist my arm), grabbed my camera and cane and headed outside. Hannah and I matched each other perfectly playing hide and seek. She could count to twelve, which took just long enough for me to hobble behind a bush, trying not to use my cane because it's sound would give me away, and yell, "Ready or not, here Hannah comes!" She called for me, I answered, and she SQUEALED with delight, moving ever closer to me. Once she "found" me, she belly laughed and ran away, then turned and said, "One more"...at least seven more times.

My heart overflowed for so many reasons. The obvious: I laughed out loud at her outfit. It's the look that makes mothers smile while strangers wonder. But a deeper story of gratitude begins with those boots. Grandma Janis bought those boots for Hannah last Christmas. I picked them out, thinking they would be perfect. However, once Hannah put them on, she couldn't walk. Because of the Dandy-Walker, she wasn't a very dandy walker and couldn't keep her balance with those clunky things on her feet. So, winter 2006-07 came and went without wearing the boots.

But today began a new chapter in the boot story. Hannah didn't just walk in those boots, she RAN. She jumped off of four-inch curbs with a single bound! Those boots helped me remember how far we've come, how long it took Hannah to crawl, then to walk. Now she runs and climbs. Just a few months ago Hannah barely spoke individual words. Now she attempts complete sentences. I marvel at her persistence and wish I could somehow intravenously inject her patience...as well as a little of that energy.

Today, in the midst of difficulties, diagnoses and meltdowns, laughter reigned. Hannah, you've come a long way, big girl. I'm so proud to be your mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE ALWAYS SAID God always uses you to speak to me. With every thing we have gone threw this year my most biggest fear that my heart would harden, but to day as i read your blog God renewed my love for helping people in need and hurting. So i just wanted to say thank you I truely needed to be reminded. Your sister in Christ Catherine

Anonymous said...

Laughter from the awesome outfit, and tears of joy after reflecting on Hannah's many accomplishments in the past 5 years. You 2 have been great role models for me especially in the areas of unconditional love and perserverence. Thank you for always being the ear that will listen and the voice of understanding. Love ya Ash

Anonymous said...

On the outside looking in, this year of change has been awesome for you. I see and hear laughter, true joy and patience. So happy for you (and the girls)! Ash

Just Do It Posterchild said...

i like your blog its funny how you can translate what hannah said

luv jenna

Laurie said...

BIG BIG girl! Hannah is so lucky to have you celebrating her every new trick.