Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bella's Heart on Valentine's Day

en·joy to take pleasure in something; to have the full and satisfying use or benefit of something

We've had a busy couple of days here preparing for Valentine's Day parties and for my doctor's appointment in Tulsa tomorrow. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of things I have to do and therefore fail to remember to enjoy those things. To enjoy the Valentine's Day party I helped put together for Katie's class today. To enjoy Hannah, all of Hannah, who will only be five for a few more months, then six, then seven... To enjoy my healthy, happy, somewhat hormonal tween girls.

Mostly, to enjoy the fact that our life is basically routine. Yes, I have a chronic illness. Yes, Hannah has a brain malformation. But one day in the Solomon life looks rather similar to the next. We don't worry that someone's cancer will return from remission. We don't have life-and-death diseases. My baby won't require open heart surgery any time soon...if ever.

Unlike Bella. Bella just turned one year old and waits in Kansas City for her second open heart surgery. Her mom and dad are there with her while her two older sisters remain at home with grandma and grandpa. Click on the pink "Miracles Happen Ministries" button to the right to read more of Bella's story. Even if you don't click, take a moment to send up a prayer that her family has peace and that Bella's heart is healed--an appropriate prayer on Valentine's Day.

This in NOT to say that Bella's family doesn't enjoy Bella or their life. Actually, her family inspires me with their optimism and faith. But when we watch others endure a difficult time, knowing that we all will have to endure our own difficult times (if we haven't already), we are given a blessed opportunity to regain our perspectives and remember what is truely important...then to enjoy it.

3 comments:

Just Do It Posterchild said...

You just put into words what I was struggling to communicate myself. You're a great writer!!

Sheri

Angela said...

Thanks friend!
Love,
Ang (goober for the night!)

Megan said...

Thank you Angela. I am so glad we have you guys in our lives!!
Lots of Love
Megan