Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The 21st Century Question: Medication or No Medication

Hannah's teacher has suggested that I consider medicating Hannah. Keep in mind, that's my summary of a five-minute conversation I had with Hannah's teacher.

Here's the history: Hannah has been easily distractable this entire school year. She seemed to be improving a bit before Christmas, but has consistently regressed since then. The climax of distraction occured Tuesday while Hannah worked on her seatwork assignment which involved identifying which butterflies were different and which were the same. In the past she has been capable of this, but Tuesday she struggled.

During the struggle Hannah stood from her seat and began wandering around the classroom.

"Hannah, come back here and finish your work," Ann, Hannah's teacher, said.

Hannah looked at Ann and said, "No."

Hannah did return to her seat, but didn't complete the assignment.

Her teachers have tried several things this past year. With a five-to-one student-teacher ratio, they have constantly redirected her: "Hannah, finish your work. Hannah, color your picture. Hannah, Hannah, Hannah." They've placed a cardboard cubicle around her, which worked beautifully the first day, then steadily decreased in efficacy. Now she peers around it every time she hears a noise. We tried the weighted vest once. Nothing.

I write all of that to dispel the notion that these particular teachers just want cooperative students and thus recommend Ritalin with a first offense. In fact, Ann was not insistent about medication, but instead insisted that she's not a doctor and is only making a suggestion.

That leaves me with a decision. A big decision. At this point my head is screaming noooooOOOOOOO!!! I'm questioning myself as a parent--is my seasonal depression effecting Hannah at school. If I was more with it would she be more attentive? I feel pressured to "fix" Hannah immediately or else choose drugs to "fix" her.

Several ideas present themselves. First food. Could I change her diet and thus change her bevhavior? I at least want to try. But I've been such a failure at dietary changes in the past, I struggle to trust myself.

Second, candida. Hannah received (to my shame now) many rounds of antibiotics in her first two years of life due to chronic ear infections. All the good bacteria was killed off right along with the bad, leaving her a prime target for a chronic internal yeast infection. What doctor do I see about that???

Third, phase. It could just be an extended phase. Hannah's speech has greatly improved this year. Maybe she's focusing on her speech to the exclusion of her seatwork. That's how she has progressed in other areas: while she learned to walk, she spoke little. When she began to focus more on cognitive skills, her gross motor skills plateaued. Maybe now she's focusing on her speech. Her speech therapist has had less trouble than her classroom teachers, though not NO trouble. (How's that for a double negative.)

This is a rambling post. I have a fifth grade class Valentine's day party to help prepare and my house is a mess. I also have an appointment with a new doctor in Tulsa Friday for which I want to study so that I can convince him to prescribe the antibiotic protocol to treat my arthritis.

To medicate or not to medicate. That's the 21st century question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about positive reinforcement instead of redirection? I know that some teachers don't agree with just giving one child rewards, but that's their job!! And, if they sit the other kids down and explain it to them, they usually understand why Hannah gets the rewards and they don't. Maybe Hannah needs some type of reward chart; every time she completes a task she gets a sticker (or a small piece of candy-i.e. one smartie, one m&m, etc.); after so many stickers Hannah gets to choose out of box for a larger prize (i.e. call home to mom or dad, sit next to teacher at snack time, larger sticker, etc.

Have they tried a visual chart with Hannah? That could also be an option.

Before you medicate, the IEP team needs to reconvene to try other interventions. You can request this meeting-that's your right!! A resource (www.wrightslaw.com); used to be an excellent site for parents; I haven't had the need to utilize it for several years now. And, these interventions should be in practice for at least 4 weeks before another intervention is tried. Medication should be the last resort!!

Hope this helps!!!

Tonya

Angela said...

Hi Tonya!
Wow! Thanks for the information. We have tried rewards, but in the past she didn't "get it." We did stickers at home (no response) & they tried rewards at school (I don't remember them now). However, Hannah has matured and I'm glad you reminded me to try them again. She may "get it" now.

I'll check out the website...probably Monday. I have my own dr appointment Fri in Tulsa, then a trip to Wichita Saturday. I can return to Hannah-land Monday! :)

Thanks again!
Angela

Angela said...

P.S. Believe me - meds ARE a last resort in my book. Only about 1% of me is even considering it. I will even attend school with her to help keep her focused if necessary. I realize that could not be a permanent decision, but if this is a phase, that attention would bring her through it.

Ang