Sunday, December 9, 2007

Iced In!

Note: I late-posted an entry for Saturday below this one...if you're interested.

Outside frozen needles of rain fall from the sky and occasionally I hear thunder, a disconcerting sound in December. Icicles hang precariously from every object; my new gutters, weak tree limbs, power lines. It's picturesque in a perilous sort of way. Inside I sit in my jammies surfing the net for Christmas gifts. Mass has been cancelled and I'm prepared to spend the day in my warm cocoon of a home reading, Internet surfing and sipping hot chocolate.

I won't be taking a warm bath or hot shower, though, because we STILL do not have hot water. Carl has been swamped at work this week and hasn't been able to complete the hot water heater installation. Every December, usually at the first hint of freezing, nasty weather of some sort, Carl receives a rush of requests for remote starts (you know, the handy gadget that allows you to start your vehicle from the warmth or your home). You would think that after eleven years of self-employment and 25 years in this business, we would be prepared for this rush. Nope.

Hailey and Hannah entertain themselves by playing a game of hide and seek. Hannah doesn't quite get the concept.

"OK. I'll count and you go hide, Hannah," Hailey instructs.

Even with below-freezing temperatures outside and that drafty cold feeling inside regardless of insulation, Hannah wears only a pair of panties (actually, that's a step up...she must want her cheekies warmed). Hannah replies, "OK!" and Hailey begins counting in the kitchen. Hannah runs five feet, hears Hailey's counting, and halts. She hides her own eyes and joins Hailey in the counting, "...fooowh, ive, ix..."

"No, Hannah. Go hide. This way," I whisper.

"Oh! OK!" Hannah says and runs to me. After I instruct her to hide behind the couch, she goes there and waits in full view.

"No, get down. Put your head down so Hailey can't see you."

She complies and I let Hailey know Hannah is ready.

"Ready or not, here I come," Hailey shouts.

After about five seconds Hannah shouts back from her hiding place, " 'Ere Yam! (Here I am!)"

We need to work on some strategy here.

Everyone out there keep warm and safe. We're warm and safe here, still have electricity unlike some folks in the area, and all is well. I'm going to continue tap tap tapping inside on my computer while the icy rain tap tap taps outside on my windows.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds like a great warm cozy kind of day. I have been surfing the net also and have hopes to curl up on my couch and read some Karen Kingsbury. So far it is not looking promising for school tomorrow. I am not sure how I feel about that!! Yesterday at the hospital went great. Thanks for everything you and Carl have done for us.
Love
Megan
p.s. keep warm. pray we don't loose electricity!!

Angela said...

Hey Megan! I finished the Karen Kingsbury book you loaned me. AWESOME!! You've GOT to read Redeeming Love. Right now I'm reading *The Golden Compass* so I can have an educated response...if I ever actually need one.
No school tomorrow. I'm with you...is that good? Or torture?
I hope your electricity is back on like ours is!
Love you guys!
Angela