Friday, November 9, 2007

My Lessons During a School Lunch

I ate lunch at school with Katie and Hailey. I learned two things in thirty minutes.

First, I cannot parallel park. I knew that before today, but I confirmed it by parking on the school's sidewalk.

Second, chicken has bones. Again, I knew that before today, but evidently several Kindergarten through second graders were shocked to find bones in the chicken thighs the school served them. The chicken nuggets & chicken strips they were probably accustomed to were decidedly void of bones...or so one hopes.

I vividly recall the day Mom took me to grandma's house to clean chickens. My-eight-year-old mind could barely bridge the gap between the cruelty to those headless, running creatures and the delicious meal served that evening. Yes, I definitely knew before today that chickens have bones.

In addition to these two things I also learned one student's nickname, four students' opinions of yesterday's vegetarian lasagna, the procedure for getting seconds, that I'm going deaf and that, AMAZINGLY three or four adults can very successfully control an entire lunchroom of grade school children.

Katie and Hailey have requested that I eat lunch with them every Friday. I think I'll take them up on that one...well, not EVERY Friday, but regularly. I know the days of having my girls request that I spend time with them amongst their peers are numbered.

One last thing before I go: Hey Shannon!!! FOUR readers??? I'm definitely on the road to fame! I think "blog" is short for "web log." If anyone knows differently, let me know.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Lucky you!! I asked Abby if she would like for me to eat lunch with her and she said "No I don't really think so" So I guess I am not cool enough to sit with the kindergarten. Sounds like you learned lots of valuable information while at lunch. It is so fun to see the world through our children's eyes!!
Love
Megan

Just Do It Posterchild said...

That lunch room is a riot (both literally and figuratively). It is amazing how those adults can raise those fingers and the whole room gets quiet....if only I could teach that at home.(HAHA) I can't really relate to the chicken. I was born and raised a city girl. I know there are bones, but I really don't like to think about it. Keep up the writing!!!
Love ya,
Sheri

Angela said...

Thanks Megan & Sheri. I like getting feedback & comments from you guys!
Love ya!
Ang