Monday, June 15, 2009

Special

"She always ruins EVERYTHING!" Katie screamed with tears in her eyes as she carried Hannah from upstairs to me in the kitchen downstairs. I rapidly envisioned several special items that Hannah might have broken: a ceramic statue, a piece of artwork, even the walls weren't immune from Destructo-Hannah.

"What did she ruin this time?" I asked Katie as I cringed inwardly. Unfortunately this had been an ongoing problem. Our neighbor girl, Emily, and Hailey stomped in to support Katie. Great.

"I had these special sticky notes set out that were a special color and Hannah ripped them all apart and flung them all over the deck!" More tears. Oh, the drama.

Hannah looked at me with guilty blue eyes. "Hannah, how would you like it if they ripped the head off of your monkey?" No response. I tried to think of something she played with every day. "What if they broke your tricycle, Hannah? Wouldn't you be sad?"

The three big girls behind me erupted in giggles until I remembered: they HAD broken her tricycle. A few weeks ago Katie and Emily had been driving a riding lawn mower around and accidentally rammed it into Hannah's tricycle, destroying one of her tires. After Katie and Emily repaired the tire, we began calling Hannah "Pebbles" after the Flinstones character. Can you see why?









The tension was accidentally broken as well.

You would think the sticky notes were a present or a unique color or at least something Katie had been saving, right? Wrong. Because Katie just rescued them yesterday from a long life buried in Carl's shop, their "special" color was faded pink and they had been rendered virtually sticky-less. Good grief.

About an hour later Hannah walked up to me with her hand behind her back and whispered, "I have a present for you."







Now that's special.

3 comments:

Tara R. said...

Oh the drama!

Love the Pebbles tryke.

Laurie said...

How do they always, always know the most direct route to forgiveness?

Tonya said...

The tricycle is hilarious!! We have several that she could have, as my two don't tend to ride them.