Friday, June 12, 2009

Small Town Living

I'm reading the Twilight series. I originally intended to blame that on Katie because she considered reading it and I wanted to preview it before she did. However, since she found it boring, she didn't get past chapter two of the first book. I, on the other hand, finished the third book today and want to begin the fourth immediately. Please don't think less of me.

Because Hannah is fishing with Carl, the house is hushed--perfect for a junk novel reading marathon. Outside the sky is the brilliant blue only seen after rain has washed the haze from the sky, but surprisingly the humidity is low despite that same rain. I chose to ride my Hoveround the three blocks to the library to return book three in exchange for book four, Breaking Dawn.

I parked my chair outside (I prefer not to use the elevator unless I'm having a difficult day because it requires my bothering Liz for a key--besides, I could use the exercise). As I walked up the air-conditioned steps inside the library, I saw Katie's Sunday school teacher who asked me about a conference she had mentioned to me a few weeks ago. We visited a few minutes before I approached the front desk to return some books and movies. There I saw two other ladies I knew and we joked about brain fog and discussed different people associated with In Cold Blood. Unfortunately Breaking Dawn wasn't available, so I chatted with Liz for a few more minutes and headed home.

Experiencing a sudden need for chocolate (does this ever happen to you?), I decided to stop in at the post office. Sheri keeps a stash behind the desk there for kids, but I figured I could bum some kind of chocolate off of her. In the two blocks I travelled to the USPS, three people I knew drove by and waved.

As I drove my chair across the marble floor of the Post Office, Sheri gave me crap because her best friend had the audacity to show up at 4:29--one minute before she closed the front desk.

"Well, I don't need much. I just wanted a..."

"A stamp?" she interrupted.

I placed a quarter on the counter and said, "No, actually I'm in desperate need of chocolate. I didn't realize the time."

She cackled and said "Suuuure you didn't." But being the friend that she is, she came through with a Snickers. In the time that it took her to dig it out of the drawer, an acquaintance came in at the last minute. We all joked about how he would have been out of luck if I wouldn't have shown up right at 4:30--some friend. Yuk. Yuk. Yuk. Before I left, I asked Sheri if I could borrow her copy of Breaking Dawn. Chocolate and a book. I definitely owe her.

Why am I rambling on and on about these mundane meetings? I love this little town. I love that people wave at each other, that in the span of three blocks I am reminded of how blessed I am with my simple life. Cheered by the sunshine and camaraderie, I feel an unexpected gratitude. I wish I could say I was one of those people who kept a gratitude journal, who made a habit of consciously recognizing her blessings. But I'm not. Ashamedly I admit that I'm more apt to notice what's missing or messed up. So when gratitude sneaks up on me, I'm compelled to make a note of it.

Breaking Dawn beckons. Time to set out on that marathon.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I LOVE this post. I totally got where you were going with it. I've started to feel a LITTLE bit that way about our 'hood. Although I don't know any place where I could confidently show up unannounced and be given chocolate.
xoxox

Tonya said...

Chocolate at the post office! Who knew? I will have to ask next time I need a little fix, and am in that way.