Thursday, November 20, 2008

ICK

Yesterday my neighbor phoned, opening our conversation with, "I need to tell you something that will affect how we watch our girls while they're outside." My first thought was, "Cr*p. What did Hannah do now?" I mentally flipped back through the days, wondering if she had been outside unattended or maybe fed the same neighbor's penned-up dog something strange. The neighbor has ducks. Did Hannah let the ducks out?

Cautiously I replied, "OK?"

I only wish it simply involved ducks or dogs.

Before I continue, allow me to describe our small-town block, which is divided into eight very small lots with adjacent back yards. Four of us basically share the same unfenced back yard. Thankfully three of those homes include children, counting my telephoning neighbor whose 13 year old daughter has become a close friend of Katie's and Hailey's. The fourth house is a tiny 500-square-foot (give or take) peach-colored rental that is mere feet from my phoning neighbor's back porch.

My neighbor told me, "A sexual predator moved into the little peach house beside us." She e-mailed me the website where I learned that this individual (I refuse to call him a man) has been convicted of--and I quote--"aggravated indecent solicitation of child; less than 14 years old to commit or submit to unlawful sexual act." This same individual is similar in size to me: 5'2" and 125 pounds.

ICK is an understatement.

Our daughters' swing set sits just outside of his window. With innocence, naivete and a presumed sense of safety our girls walk back and forth between our homes to play or to borrow a cup of sugar. We chose small town America in part for the notion that we could live in a modern day Mayberry.

I'm not ignorant. I've cautioned my daughters, explaining sexual predators and pointing out that the bad guy is rarely a bogey man dressed in black. We've discussed situations that place them in danger. Mayberry or no, I never let them walk anywhere alone--except across their own back yard.

Did I mention...ICK?

I showed this individual's picture to Katie and Hailey and explained what he had done to a girl their age. I cautioned them that never EVER would he be the person that I gave information to in the event of an emergency, so never EVER believe him if he tells them something has happened to their mom or dad or whomever so come on in and use his phone or wait in his house or...whatever. They aren't to talk to him. They aren't to approach him. If they see him, they are to run away. Just get away.

Evidently Hailey didn't quite get this because her first question was, "If we see him, can we punch him?"

After laughing at this I explained again that she should simply stay away from him, but by all means she has my permission to punch him if that should ever become necessary--which it shouldn't if she STAYS AWAY FROM HIM. I also pointed out that, though I don't think Hannah is this individual's typical target, we all need to keep a special eye on her.

My heart is heavy. Evil resides in my back yard and its presence threatens those most dear to me. I'm thankful that the winter months are upon us, when we keep indoors to avoid the cold. And I'm hopeful that this individual will move before spring.

4 comments:

Tara R. said...

That is more than ICK... I hate that for your girls. Be watchful and be safe!

Angela said...

Thanks, Tara. I have since learned more that leaves me feeling microscopically better about the situation where my girls are concerned, but still...

Laurie said...

I hate that for your girls, too. And for you, and for the whole neighborhood. It's not like you can sell the house and move. And you can't send them to Switzerland and a convent. And you can't lock that guy in.

Angela said...

Laurie: Sometimes I WISH I could sell the house (and adjacent monstrosity) and move, but no. So far we haven't seen him.

Switzerland. Convent. Now there's an idea. :)

xxxooo