Thursday, September 25, 2008

Newest Family Member



This is Katie's birthday present, Pippin. Pippin the parakeet.

I'm definitely a dog person and definitely not a cat person, but I refuse to own another dog until our fence is completed and will contain the dog. Since that refusal we have killed owned two guinea pigs, possessed and flushed one goldfish, briefly kept a cat (only because Hannah responded to it verbally before she was verbal), and stored numerous turtles, crawdads, frogs and toads. Pippin is my favorite so far.



Katie and I selected and purchased a large, white bird cage on e-bay which we erected in the corner of the living room, having been informed that Pippin will be more likely to talk if kept in a high-traffic environment. We can certainly provide a high-traffic environment.

So, here's my question to you: what should we teach the bird to say? I'm looking for something unique, not the usual "Pippin wants a cracker" or "Pretty bird." I was thinking maybe "Wanna margarita?" Or how about "Welcome to the funny farm." Surely you witty folk can come up with something better than that.

No profanity, please, but leave me some good ideas in the comments. OK?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ethan says supercalafragalisticexpealudocious or however it is to be spelled!!!

Love Ash

Angela said...

Hey--since you're the only ones to comment so far, that'll be the first thing I teach Pippin. :)

Love you, sis.

Laurie said...

WHAT a great picture!
My ideas would go towards something that would apply in many situations both good and bad. Such as, "Make Way! Make Way!" Or how about, "Yes, your majesty."
xoxox

Unknown said...

hi angela -- awh!!! love it!! you guys are so blessed to have a friendly one. we used to a long time ago before my teen accidentally stepped on it, killing it, soooo sad. i miss that friendly bird. he would sit on my hand and nuzzle me. i miss jack.

so happy for you guys. enjoy that little ray of sunshine.

thanks for all the notes. you are a joy to hear from, beany :)

Lil' This...Lil' That... said...

I thought your idea of, "Wanna margarita?" was pretty good :) BUT maybe not so good for the kids.. what about..."You're never too old!" of "Ooo...La...La!" :)

Angela said...

Laurie: Good ones! I especially like "Yes your majesty." Maybe even "Yes, Queen"--specificity and all that. Of course, it would sound a little strange if he said "Yes, Queen" to Carl...

Beany: Call me morbid, but I laughed at your anecdote. Our concern is that Pippin will be sucked into the attic fan. Thanks for stopping by again.

This & That: No, it's probably not a good idea to offer margaritas to minors...oops! Mother of the Year--that's me (or the grammatically correct that's I. We'll be adding "You're never too old" to the parakeet repetoire--a girl can never hear that too much.

How about "You're never too old to wanna margarita"?

Tara R. said...

How about something from your blog like 'girlsgirlsgirls'?

Angela said...

Tara: It seems like I'm always saying this to you--why didn't I think of that???