Saturday, June 14, 2008

New Car

We spent all afternoon test driving and buying a car. With gas prices reaching $4 a gallon and promising to go higher, we decided we didn't need a Tahoe for running general errands. We're keeping the Tahoe for times that I need to transport my wheelchair, but now we have a white 2008 Hyandai Sonata.

Did we do the right thing? I hate buying cars. Hate it. I hate negotiating, hate parting with money, hate spending the time. We could buy a lot of gas with the money we spent today. However, I have been staying home instead of getting out to run errands ever since the day I spent $96 to fill my tank. Ouch.

When I hit the brakes as I neared town, the car began making a funny sound and an exclamation point lit up on my dash. What the heck?! Engine trouble already? I pulled over and Carl pulled in behind me. He came up to my window and, after I explained everything, he looked at the light and said, "You have tire trouble."

"OK...well, would you check my tires?"

Sure enough, I had a flat. I took the Tahoe home and left my knight in goofy clothing behind to fix the tire and bring the car home. It's sitting outside now with a donut tire.

I'm sitting inside, tired from the shopping and ready to do absolutely nothing.

Tomorrow is Father's Day and I bought Carl exactly what he wanted: A home beer-making kit. He has no idea, though he requested it. I can hardly wait to give it to him.

My brain is fried, but the day is now documented.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the car bying issue. Last summer we bought our Chrysler Town & Country. I was more happy to have it over with than I was excited about the car. It is a big commitment financially. Our Astro Van takes about 80-90 to fill up nowadays and I feel your pain. It does not seem right to me at all and I hope things get better.

Unknown said...

i can relate.

i love driving my paid for pick up truck. it has been paid for for years. i am driving it until it falls apart. i hate incuring new debt.

enjoy yourself, kathleen

Tara R. said...

I hate car shopping too. Good thing we seem to only buy a new car every 10 years or so.

How did the beer making kit go over?