Monday, May 12, 2008

On Air Conditioning and Armadillos

What a WEEKEND! Ashley, Ed, their four children, and Ed's brother, Craig, arrived Friday evening around 8:30. Ed is an engineer with a major heating and air company. Craig specializes in running the pipes for A/C, but I don't know the technical name for his profession. They installed the air conditioning for the building project Friday evening while the kids roamed the neighborhood (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating) and Ashley and I looked through some clothes given to me.

Earlier that afternoon the inside of my house resembled Picher, Oklahoma after the tornadoes hit so I morphed into demon mommy, turning my head 360 degrees and spewing my demands so that we could have a pleasant evening with the Lange family. That makes perfect sense, doesn't it? I wanted so badly to overcome our redneck status, especially in the eyes of my sister. However, the beautiful landscaping in my front yard does not cancel out the three non-functioning boats, two bicycles and one armadillo in our back yard.







Yes, armadillo. While Katie played on the back patio with two-year-old Gianna, an armadillo scampered around the southwest corner towards the garage. The way Katie tells it, she barely jerked Gianna from the giant armadillo in time. Thank goodness. My yarrow plants in the same southwest corner have looked like a basketball landed in them too many times, but as it turns out, the armadillo had made it's nest there. Yuck.

When I awoke at 8:30 Saturday morning (much later than usual) Ashley had washed the sheets, mopped my kitchen floor and picked up the house. She's almost eight months pregnant. Thanks, Ash. Craig and Ed went fishing in their fully functional bass boat early Saturday morning at the nearby pits that were created by 16-storey-tall Big Brutus . They returned from their fishing trip, we all ate lunch, and they left before 2:00. What a whirlwind.

Speaking of whirlwinds, some very destructive tornadoes tore through southeast Kansas, northeast Oklahoma and southwest Missouri that evening. I'm glad my family left early enough to miss the excitement. I'll save that for my next post...

No comments: