Thursday, May 8, 2008

As Mother's Day Approaches

I could fill this blog with countless stories of the times I have screamed at my daughters, of the (gasp) spankings they have received. I've never EVER called them stupid...or any name for that matter...but they have incurred my wrath. I cringe.

But today I read a quote on Tara's blog that says:

“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~ Dr. Haim Ginott (Author and psychotherapist, 1922-1973).

When I read this I remembered an afternoon about five years ago when my mom and sister were visiting. As we three women yakked in my bedroom, the windows opened to allow one of the first spring breezes to air out the house, I noticed Katie walking barefoot from the front yard to the back just outside the bedroom window. I interrupted my conversation with Mom and Ashley, raised my voice, and said something specific and positive about Katie as if I didn't realize she was just outside the window.

I don't recall now what I said. It's irrelevant. I remember clearly how Katie stopped walking to look towards the window where she heard her name and "overhear" her mother say how terrific she was. Afterwards she continued to the back yard with a spring in her step and a new spirit.

Again, I reiterate, I am plagued by the times I have fallen short as a mother. But this is one moment of which I am proud.

5 comments:

Tara R. said...

Thanks for sharing this story... got a little lump as I read it. Good job Mom!

Angela said...

Thanks, Tara. You reminded me.

:)

Unknown said...

love it! thanks for sharing this one. i could almost feel her springing happily off of the page. blessings this mama's day, kathleenybeany :)

Laurie said...

You're a great mom. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Angela said...

Kathleen: Thanks. It feels good to feel good again. I hope you had a happy mother's day, too.

Laurie: Thanks for compliment. I didn't intend to post two mushy posts back-to-back, but computer malfunction coupled with trying out Blogger's "post scheduling" worked it that way. Did you have a happy Mother's Day?...Wait--I see you have a new post. See you there!