Friday, February 8, 2008

Doctor's Visit Part 2

Let me say up front: all is well.

Either I misunderstood the receptionist or she misspoke. It really doesn't matter now. I didn't know about a biopsy because there hasn't been a biopsy. However, I need to have (future tense) a biopsy in the future. February 29, to be exact.

When the doctor anesthetized me and pushed the aspirin down my throat (during my January ER visit), I had requested that he do everything necessary that day so that I could avoid future procedures, future dollars and future chunks of lost time. When I discovered he had only pushed the aspirin through, I was more than a little annoyed.

It turns out he had a reason. My throat was so constricted that the little camera would not fit through it and into my stomach. Now we need to know why, hence the February 29 procedure. The doctor reassured me that in 96% of these situations, throat constriction has been caused by something benign such as scar tissue or inflammation. Hmmm, I think I qualify in the inflammation department. I have also taken medicine, then laid down before giving it adequate time to reach my stomach. After several instances my throat burned as if the medicine had dissolved there and scorched it. So, score one for potential scar tissue, too.

The good news: if the constriction is caused by scar tissue or inflammation, he can dilate my throat and send me on my post-anesthetically merry way. He thinks that since the Prevacid improved my swallowing abilities and reduced my pain, this is probably the case.

Sorry for the drama, everyone. I don't know whether to be annoyed at the mix-up or just relieved that it's all probably nothing in the something-versus-nothing scheme of things. Thanks for the prayers! I had more butterflies resulting from the constant Pixel Chicks repeat of "What should we do?" than I did from worry.

2 comments:

Just Do It Posterchild said...

Don't be sorry....I think God answered my prayer...it was honestly...please let this all be something minor....thus God answered my prayer!!!!!!!
Love ya Kid!!!

Sheri

Angela said...

Thank you for the prayers. My mom said the same thing..."confirmation."

Love you!
Angela