Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dandy Updates & Household Sounds

Hannah's week has slowly improved. I posted Monday about her difficult day at school. I have since made it a point to get her to bed early. Of course, that decision is entirely for Hannah's benefit--it has nothing to do with the peace that permeates the house after Hannah falls asleep...yeah...nothing. Tuesday went slightly better for her. At least I wasn't met at the preschool door by the teacher when I picked Hannah up. Yesterday Hannah failed to pay attention during center-time, but did complete her coloring page...with constant redirection by her teacher.

She has been more easily distracted than usual. Again: Dandy-Walker? Sensory issues? Poor parenting? She was doing so well before Christmas. Since Christmas she's returned to her beginning-of-school behaviors. That doesn't reflect well on the Solomon home. In my own defense, she did well last Thursday, her first day back after Christmas.

They haven't begun using her weighted vest at school yet. They're waiting for the next occupational therapist visit, as the OT determines the amount of weight to use. We had hoped that visit would occur this week, but unless she arrived today, we'll be waiting until next week.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I just returned from picking up Hannah from school. No OT. Hopefully next week. On the way home Hannah said, "I in tye moat." I was in time out. Did she mean she was in time out today? Yesterday? Monday? To Hannah every day is right now. I have sent an e-mail to her teacher to determine the details.

I heard Hannah in the kitchen right now. The dishwasher creaked open, next the refrigerator door seal ssssssssed as it released, then the milk jug lid clicked onto the floor. Finally I heard the tink tink tink of a spoon stirring something (presumably milk) in a glass followed by lips smacking. Is it a mom thing to automatically hear and identify all the sounds particular to her own home? That is one of the most exhausting aspects of family life: I'm never completely "off" as long as anyone else is here. Which reminds me of my nice Tuesday evening. I'll close this post and tell you about it next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tuesday evenings!! I'm beginning to think every mom needs a Tuesday evening. At least I have been feeling that way lately!! Hopefully, Hannah's vest will work. I have seen great improvements in the "special" children I taught when using the vest. I'm not really sure about the weight thing though. Our OT never mentioned how much weight a child needed; it only seemed to matter how long they wore it-typically 20 minutes or less at a time and no longer. By the way, a little late for this info.-if the school suggested the vest or if you even requested, then they are typically responsible for providing it. At least Hannah's will be bright and colorful, not dull and boring like the usual denim vests.

Signing off on my book now,
Tonya

Angela said...

Hello again Tonya!
YES!!! Every mom needs a Tuesday evening.

I didn't know you taught special children. Tell me more.

I never considered having the school provide the vest...though I'm happy we can provide it and maybe allow the money to be spent on kids whose parents can't. (Gosh, don't I sound like a philanthropist!)

I enjoyed your book...write more!
Angela