Saturday, November 17, 2007

Grandma Janis: "Wonderworker Extraordinaire"

Has everyone figured out that I consider my mom "Wonderworker Extraordinaire?" I've only posted that phrase about fourteen times on this blog! She has a creativity gene that, for some reason, she failed to pass on to me. Thank goodness she's willing to share.

Last weekend she visited, along with my sister, sister's husband and their four children (five if you count baby-on-the-way!). On October 8 I posted about all the accomplishments Mom, Carl & I made in Katie's & Hailey's bedroom. Last weekend Mom brought some things to put the finishing touches on their bedroom. I've posted pictures below.

These are the best "before" pictures I could find of Katie's & Hailey's room. This one shows not only how little they cared about their room (given the constant state of clutter), but also shows the yucky shelving unit that was on the south wall...sort of.

I took the picture below several months ago when I made an attempt at improving the girls' hardwood floor by oiling it. It looked MUCH better (as you can tell by the oil line in the picture)...for about two days. Hardly worth the effort THAT took!



These are the curtains that were in the girls' room. They had matching red gingham bedspreads, all of which Grandma Janis made several years ago. They've been nice, but the girls have outgrown them...plus I'm ready for something more subtle. By the way, I no longer need these curtains or matching bedspreads. Takers, anyone???




NOW FOR THE "AFTER" PICTURES
--------------------------------------------------------
Mom had some leftover curtain & bedspread material, so she made these king-sized pillow shams. I took a close-up of Katie's so you could see that the "i" on each girl's pillow is dotted with a cute purple button.






Following are the curtains mom designed & sewed. I LOVE the beads! Then she lucked out & found the cute, beaded lamps with moon pull-chains.



----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a picture of Hailey & her neighbor friend in front of a knick-knack shelf that Carl originally made as a shoe cubby.




Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have that shows the rugs I placed in the girls' room. Hello Hannah! While you're at it, notice my shoes. Most people accidentally get thumbs and fingers in pictures... I get my shoes. Not only that, since I am the only one who takes pictures in my house, my shoes are the only part of me that regurlarly make it into pictures. When I'm dead and gone & my children are looking through photos, they'll say, "Aw, remember those shoes? That's an excellent one. I sure miss Mom and her shoes."


That's the gist of it. Amazingly, now that the girls' room feels clean & light, they tend to keep it neater. You can see the final look at the top right of my blog.

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments: