Friday, October 12, 2007

What a Morning!!!

You would not believe the morning I had. First, understand that the Solomons have the "Evening Routine" so that morning school preparation goes somewhat more smoothly. Included in the evening routine is "Pick out clothes, socks, shoes and undies for tomorrow." This step is as much for me as for the girls because I'm notorious for allowing them to run out of clean clothes, a problem I can't easily solve one hour before school begins.

The weather has gotten colder, so the girls are wearing some of their new pants for the first time. Katie waited until this morning to complain about her pants...while I was trying to make lunches from nonexistent ingredients (because they had previously been pilfered from the refrigerator), fix breakfast, holler at Hannah to leave Hailey alone, all the while weaving (well, as well as I "weave") my way around the mess I had left last night when looking for a missing check register. (You know: every box and drawer had thrown up their contents due to my manic hunt & I went to bed without cleaning up). Katie's complaint? Her pants whooshed when she walked. I just couldn't find it in myself to care at that particular moment.

Once the girls biked off to school, I returned inside and opted to procrastinate picking up a little longer by showering first. A few weeks ago I "splurged" and purchased Neutrogena facial wash for the shower. I just hate spending that much money on a face cleanser, but I did. This morning when I pumped it into my hand, it splattered onto the wall. Seeing the dime-sized portion of face cream, I thought, "Oh no! I can't waste THAT!" So I quickly rubbed it off of the wall onto my undereye area. It only took my eye one second to realize it was TOOTHPASTE! My eye burned for the next ten minutes. By the way, how did a blob of toothpaste that big get that high up on the shower wall??? I'm sure if I ask, we'll discover it was "invisible Hannah."

I next discovered that the girls weren't the only ones to have trouble finding clean clothes to wear. Plus, I hadn't finished my book (The Out-of-Sync Child) for Hannah's therapist appointment today. Time to finish everything was closing in on me. Where was that book???

I threw a load of clothes into the washer, put together a deposit for the bank (to avoid an otherwise-impending overdraft), realized I had waited one day too long to post a credit card payment, and left for the bank. Spotting Sheri's vehicle at her aunt's real estate agency across from my bank, I pulled in there after making my deposit to procrastinate yet some more and to enjoy what I knew would be a funny time. I was not disappointed.

From that point forward, my day improved. I laughed out loud several times with Sheri and Susan, went to lunch with a friend in Missouri, had a good therapist appointment with Hannah and received the good news about Keaton. Life is good.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Just stopping by to say love ya!!
Megan

Laurie said...

Sounds like you're in EASTERN Kansas...