Thursday, October 11, 2007

Two Steps Forward & One Step Back--Literally

After several conversations with Sheri, my new unofficial expert on sensory issues, I have decided to pick Hannah up from school rather than have her make the 30-minute ride on the big, yellow school bus. We agreed that the loud WAAAAHHHMMMMM of the bus coupled with the rocking, swaying and general child craziness probably resulted in sensory overload and contributed to her daily meltdowns.

SUCCESS! For two days, anyhow. Hannah had no meltdowns after school, though she did still have a couple of fits later in the day involving bedtime, eating or some other change. I am encouraged.

Yesterday was my one-step-back day. She had multiple meltdowns and the slightest thing set her off several times throughout the day. If nothing else, I am becoming an officiando on self-control and patience, not my previous fortes. I can also count to ten quite efficiently...maybe I should begin counting in other languages just to give a little variety to the situation. Ha.

We tried to make a trip to the grocery store for ingredients for homemade sweet and sour beans in the crock pot for supper. We made it the four blocks to pay the water bill (due yesterday) and I realized I would be nuts to try to take Hannah through the grocery store, unless I REALLY wanted to practice my newfound gift of patience. Instead, we returned home, I put the screaming, biting, rolling child to bed and decided on plan B: frozen chicken pot pies.

The day continued with helping a crying Katie with her homework while Hannah generally annoyed her and we all waited expectantly for Papa Carl to come home and save us with his humor.

The day concluded with two glasses of wine and a zombie hour in front of the television. This was not a day I'm particularly proud of, but I'm posting it because it's truth. Some days we just do what we can to get through the day without damaging any relationships or saying something we will regret. In that light, yesterday was a success and today has dawned fresh and new.

2 comments:

Just Do It Posterchild said...

You can't expect instant success, but it is progress. Love you and keep after it......don't be discouraged, you are an incredible mom!!!
Sheri

Laurie said...

When Rose was at that age, it began to help to anticipate and describe what she was about to go through, and offer options for reactions. For example: "We are going into a store. I know that sometimes when there is so much to look at, it can be very exciting! You want to see everything at once. Sometimes it makes you run! But when you run away from me in the store, it's so scary. If you start to feel excited, you can jump up and down. You can say, "Mom, let's jump up and down!" And then I'll know that you're too excited. I will help you. You did such a good job last time at the store, and I know we can do that again!"