Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Solomon's Portico

As mentioned in my previous blog, Carl made a sign for my front porch that says "Solomon's Portico (Acts 5:12)." Portico means porch in some other language, don't ask me which one. Following is the Bible passage from which I took it:

Many signs and wonders were done among the people at the hands of the apostles. They were all together in Solomon's portico. None of the others dared to join them, but the people esteemed them. Yet more than ever, believers in the Lord, great numbers of men and women, were added to them. Thus they even carried the sick out into the streets and laid them on cots and mats so that when Peter came by, at least his shadow might fall on one or another of them. A large number of people from the towns in the vicinity of Jerusalem also gathered, bringing the sick and those disturbed by unclean spirits, and they were all cured. (Acts 5:12-16)

While I don't intend to advertise my home as a place of miraculous healing (though that would be really cool), I like to think of it and hope to make it more of a healing place: a place where friends and family can come in, have a seat and a snack and hopefully leave feeling in some small way happier or more rested...provided they don't mind the mess.

Yesterday I had my first visitor since the hanging of the sign. My friend had been through a difficult, busy week followed by an unrestful weekend. Did I listen quietly and offer support? Sadly, no. I listened briefly and instantly interrupted with a comment about my "I Want a Wife" blog entry and my own tales of woe.

I guess that goes to show you that posting a sign on my front porch, sporting a "Jesus" license plate (which I don't have, by the way) on my car or wearing a cross necklace does not make me a good Christian. I need to work a little harder on my actions and less on my looks.

No comments: