Monday, January 10, 2011

The Making of One Hundred Snowmen

This morning we awoke to the first snow of winter, a light dusting on the ground with the promise of more to come. I need to get back into the habit of using my camera.

From the minute Hannah opened the front door and saw the snow, she didn't stop jabbering about making a snowman. Her entire school prep time was peppered with her description of the snowman making process and declarations of, "When I get home I'm going to put on my coat and go outside and build a snowman."

The minute I picked her up from school, she picked up right where she left off. It sounded something like this:

"When I get home I'm going to put on my boots and coat and go outside and build a snowman and I need two blueberries for its eyes but don't worry mom I'll save you some blueberries for smoothies in the morning." Breathe. "And a carrot for its nose and sticks for its arms and I'll wear my blue boots the ones with the orange inside." Momentary thought-gathering pause. Very momentary. Spreading her arms wide, she resumed her chattering, "I'm going to make a hundred snowmen. OK, Mom?"

"Hmm? Sure. Wow. A hundred, huh?" I asked, noticing the patchiness of the snow and the blades of grass sticking through it in every yard.

Hannah talked the entire drive home, and I'm not exaggerating. It's hard to believe there was once a day when we wondered if she would ever be able to speak.

The minute we arrived home, Hannah did her jobs (put away her backpack, unload her lunch box and put her shoes in the closet), dressed warmly and went outside for The Making of One Hundred Snowmen. I began putting things away in the kitchen.

Less than five minutes later Hannah barrelled through the front door, breathing heavily, and said, "I love the snow. I'm done!"

3 comments:

Tara R. said...

I love that! One down, 99 more to go.

Angela said...

Tara--now that I'm back blogging again, I keep going over to your blog for an update only to find your sing-off page. You were so kind to comment back in the cr8buzz days...the blogosphere doesn't seem right without you!

And we don't have even ONE snowman! Ha!

Angela said...

I meant SIGN-off. Sheesh!