Sunday, April 26, 2009

Grocery List

I have a pet peeve. Actually, I have so many pet peeves that I should probably simply call them all "peeves." However, this one is my "pet" peeve of the month:

It drives me crazy when my family uses the last of something but fails to tell me, then wonders why I didn't purchase more during my last grocery run. As a piggyback to that peeve, I'm equally irritated when someone says, "Mom! We're out of jelly!" while I am simultaneously cleaning up a spill, handling Hannah, talking on the phone and making a meal. Do they really think I'm going to remember that in two minutes, let alone two days?

To remedy both problems I have instigated the Refrigerator List. If you use the last of something, put it on the list. If you can't find "the list," make one. Come on family. You're literate. Improvise.

This morning I noticed the latest Refrigerator List, written in Katie's 12-year-old script:

grocury List

1. musturd

2. sandwich bags

3. Hiddin valley ranch

4. soy sauce


First, groCURY. Is that a relative of mercury? Poison?

Next, musTURD? Need I ask more?

Lastly, you have to know the story behind the soy sauce to see any humor at all. The last time I left Hannah in Carl's capable, attentive hands, she opened the refrigerator, located the soy sauce and dumped it out all over the kitchen floor while he was being capably attentive. I've been told the soy sauce wasn't the only item emptied, but Carl cleaned up the evidence before I returned (smart move, honey) and is pleading the fifth.

For now, off to Wichita for my niece's first communion.

No comments: