Saturday, February 21, 2009

On the Road Again

I don't know if you've realized it from my previous posts, but Carl is the original prototype for the Energizer Bunny. Truth be told, Carl's DAD, Mel, is the original prototype and Carl is merely Son of Prototype. Carl grew up in a family with five sisters and no brothers who all snow skied together every winter and water skied every other weekend in the summer, and they haven't slowed down since.

Mel has continued to snow ski well into his later years, even getting free senior citizens lift tickets at certain ski slopes, but he hasn't skied since winning his battle against colon cancer a few years ago. Now, at the ripe old age of 83, Mel has decided to take one last ski trip and his six children are joining him sans spouses. Louise, Carl's mom, is going too, but won't be skiing. They leave for Colorful Colorado tomorrow to ski for three days in the Colorado Rockies. I don't expect to see Carl again until his raccoon-style sunburned face shows itself next Friday. Pray that all bones stay intact.

My sentences and paragraphs are all choppy because right now I'm fighting some kind of crud, complete with tight cough and low grade fever. Perfect timing. Being the pioneer-spirited woman that I am, I'm packing up my three kids to stay with Mom and visit my sister for a few days rather than be a single parent for an entire week. I've even pulled the girls out of school Monday. Wimpy? Maybe. Let's just say I know my limitations and leave it at that. Katie and Hailey would be a breeze, but the Hannah factor weighs in heavily.

I need to get up and get packed. This crud has kept me from doing what little laundry I usually do so that I'm actually planning to pack dirty clothes. Eww. Yes, I'll wash them before we wear them, just not before we leave. Am I making any sense?

Getting up now...really...I'm moving...soon...hack, cough, hack...here I go...

2 comments:

Tara R. said...

I hope Carl and his sibs have a great (a safe) weekend with their dad. Enjoy your weekend too! Sending get well soon wishes to you.

Laurie said...

Well, Carl deserves it. You did have that girl getaway... But sweetie! The crud?! I say knowing your limits is an excellent sign of higher level parenting.
xoxox