Monday, December 1, 2008

What A Weekend

As usual, Thanksgiving proved to be a whirlwind of activity. We intended to leave our small town for the big city on Wednesday at 3:00, which is actually 5:00 Solomon Time. We departed by 3:45, so does that mean we were early or late?

We arrived at Mom's Wednesday evening, ate supper, played cards ("hearts"--I seriously dislike that game) and imbibed until much-too-late. Thanksgiving day we brunched with my side of the family, pigged out on Thanksgiving dinner with Carl's family and returned to play cards ("10 point pitch"--a much better choice, especially since the women ruled) and imbibed until much-too-late yet again.

On Black Friday morning the dads watched the kiddos while the moms shopped in the morning. In the afternoon Mom, Ashley and I helped my dad pick out flooring and paint for a major project. I felt right at home at Lowe's and enjoyed spending someone else's money for a change. Friday evening we grilled the best steaks ever, purchased from a nearby Amish community. At this point the evenings blur together. Did we play more cards? Or just imbibe?

On Saturday we celebrated Carl's and Hannah's birthdays. If you recall, Hannah was born on Carl's 40th birthday. Hannah's singing Happy Birthday to herself in the picture below.



Before, during and after the party my mom took each of the girls on their annual Christmas shopping excursion, an event that has become as beneficial for the parents as it has been enjoyable for the kids. Mom takes each of her grandchildren to the store of their choice where said kid points out her favorite items within the given price range. Mom makes a list of those items and their prices as well as several more expensive items that the parent may decide to buy. This list has been extremely helpful in years past and has created lasting memories for the kids. After shopping grandma and grandchild go to the restaurant of the child's choice for an after-shopping treat. My girls always choose Braum's ice cream.

Hannah's shopping trip was the last, just before we left Wichita. After shopping she ordered a chocolate waffle cone "to go" so we could get on the road. Grandma Janis returned Hannah, we loaded the Tahoe and left town. Before we even made it to the Wichita city limits, Hannah looked like this:


4 comments:

Mr. Pete said...

I SO love you for taking those pictures. That child is just like a VITAMIN PILL. What a delight.
xox Laurie (Mr. Pete is Peter. For some reason I'm on his account...)

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I saw Hannah's picture. I need a copy of both pictures. Could you send them to me or make me a copy???? I didn't know I wore her out so much on our shopping trip!

Iloveyoulots! Mom

Angela said...

Hey Mr. Pete--you momentarily freaked me out! Glad to see you're Laurie after all. Hannah makes me laugh daily and I'm not exaggerating.

Angela said...

Hi Mom-- Congratulations on braving the comment form. You did it! The pictures should be in your inbox. Yes, Hannah was BEAT. She slept the entire way home, just like her momma.