Friday, December 26, 2008

Playing Catch-up

I've been frantically working on a Christmas gift project, which I have thoroughly enjoyed, but have hyperfocused on at the expense of writing. I would tell more about my project, but certain recipients still read this blog (at least I think they do...) and I don't want to give it away. Our last Christmas gathering takes place on New Year's Day. At that point life should return to normal.

Yesterday I spent my first Christmas at home since moving to our little town twelve years ago. What a delight! We rolled out of bed early and, while still in our jammies, opened presents with no pressure to pack and drive out of town. We enjoyed a meaningful, frugal Christmas morn.

Pop made a whirlwind trip to enjoy Christmas supper with us, followed by several games of ten point pitch. He left before dawn this morning--crazy!

The Christmas season coupled with the first real cold snap has caused a rush of remote start requests for Carl--you know, those nifty electronics that allow you to start your car from the comfort of your home. The business is a mixed blessing. Financially I'm yelling YIPPEEEEE!!! However, the extra work keeps Carl away during an already busy, family-filled season.

Lastly in this list: a pipe froze and broke in the building project the day before we left for Christmas with Carl's family. On the positive side, we were home and noticed it within thirty minutes, so the damage is minimal. The water leaked through the ceiling of the French door room and onto the bed, but we caught it so quickly that he mattress wasn't even damp. Whew! Imagine the mess if we had been traveling or even if we had been sleeping. Yikes. My Pergo floor would have been ruined, the ceiling may have collapsed rather than only showing a two-foot narrow strip of water damage, and oh so much more.

We still ranked high on the idiot scale, though. Less than twenty-four hours prior to the pipe's rupture, Carl said, "There's been a thin layer of ice in the new toilet the last couple of mornings."

I replied, "Oh no. Do you think we should run the water or something to keep the pipes from exploding?"

He said, "Ohh...I don't know." We had so much to do to prepare for his family's Christmas celebration in two days that neither of us gave it any more thought, until...

With the new year on the horizon I've been thinking back through 2008 and contemplating 2009. What did you do right this past year?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Well, one thing I did right was pursue a friendship with you. I'll ponder the issue and see if there's anything else.
xoxox