Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A NEW New Year's List

Carl and the girls dismantled our Christmas tree, dragged it outside and set it aflame. Nothing burns faster than a dried-out pine tree. Our Christmas decorations are scattered in varied states of put-away: some still sit in the same dust they've been collecting over the past thirty days, some are in boxes strewn throughout the house and some wait patiently by the attic ladder steps. What a mess.

For us Catholics the Christmas season doesn't officially end until January 6, which is the twelfth day of Christmas, also known as Epiphany. For this Catholic, Christmas will officially end on January 1 when my side of the family gathers to celebrate. By that time I will have made countless lists, wrapped a ridiculous number of presents, and purchased at least four last-minute gifts in spite of my lists. I don't think I could last another day, let alone the five that remain between January 1 and January 6. Nobody will receive, seven swans a-swimming, eight maids a-milking, nine ladies dancing, ten drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, or twelve lords a-leaping from the Solomon family. Sorry.

A large percentage of us are making a different kind of list and checking it twice: The New Year's Resolutions. I've decided to make two lists this year: First, I will make a list of the things I did right in 2008. Rather than focus, as I so-often do, on my deteriorating body, weak sense of discipline, inferior relationship skills or mediocre financial management, I'm going to list my 2008 triumphs. After I've made that list and basked in its meager glow, I'll return to the much-simpler task of delineating my faults in the form of a record of resolutions to change them.

So, here it goes, in no particular order (because, really, I should be completing the overwhelming number of tasks required to get on the road to Wichita today for my family's Christmas celebration tomorrow):

In 2008 I...

1. decided NOT to medicate Hannah, and she appears to be "growing out of" her spaciness at school.

2. We completed the French door room and nearly completed the downstairs bathroom of the building project.

3. I, with Mom's help (or should I say Mom, with my help), put new landscaping in my front yard, including spring bulbs that I'm anxiously awaiting.

4. finally paid to have gutters installed to protect number 3.

5. finally met my Internet friend, Laurie. (Hi Laurie!)

6. completed our taxes on time AND got a refund.

7. started the Antibiotic Protocol

8. started going to the YMCA for arthritis aquacize classes

9. rekindled my friendship with Bob

10. entered a Guideposts writing contest

11. repaired my relationship with my mother-in-law

12. started hormone therapy, to which I credit my wonderful lack of seasonal depressions this winter (yippee!)

OK...I admit to re-reading my own blog to come up with some of these and I've made it as far as June. However, I need to get busy, so I'm stopping here. These are the high points.

Hey, 2008 was pretty great. I've already asked this once, but it bears repeating:

What did you do right this past year? Give yourself a pat on the back.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi! And that is a GRAND list. I am honored to be represented on it! Happy New Year! xoxox