Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday Mom! How's Alaska?

This post has been delayed nearly a month now, but I've finally scanned the photos and uploaded them to blogger. Hey, Ed--aren't you glad you spent so much time scanning photos that one morning...only to wait two weeks to see them online. Sorry!

I'm not even sure when Mom will see all of this since she's in ALASKA right now, the last of the states that she hadn't set foot in. Has anyone else out there been to all fifty states?



-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This second picture is of my baptism, cradle Catholic that I am. Mom is on the left. On the back of this photo she had written, "Angela's baptism at one-and-a-half weeks. I didn't look as skinny as I felt." Whatever!




-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This picture is of Mom and me at The Overflow, the nickname given to a creek near my childhood home that overflowed its bridge during every rain. When Mom was a child she played there, then carried on the tradition with her own children, as you can see.



As I got older Mom allowed me to walk or ride my bike the two miles to the overflow on hot summer days. It never failed that a swarm of horseflies would attack me at the halfway point of my trip to the creek--I couldn't turn back, but thankfully I could run!

Around Memorial Day this year Mom, Ashley and I traveled back to my hometown. We were given permission to walk through my childhood home and through my now-deceased grandma's home. (I wanted to blog about that experience, but I developed some definite opinions that I found impossible to temper, so I opted to post nothing...for the time being). We ate lunch at the town park, then drove to The Overflow to play, though not to swim. We were shocked to find the bridge had finally caved in.



...throwing rocks into The Overflow

---------------------------------------------





...of course, Mom made cookies and brought everything we could possibly need

-----------------------------------------------------



...third generation Overflow kids. Or is it fourth? Did my grandma play there as a child?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


OK, now we're back to my childhood. Mom is nine months pregnant in this picture and probably excited at the prospect of potty training me. Especially since she used cloth diapers.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Just another picture. Any guesses as to what she's doing?



---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fuzzy photo pictures Mom with Ashley. I love the helmet head, Mom!







------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Mom worked at the high school for many years, allowing her to continue having those lovely school pictures long after the rest of us were spared. Great glasses, Mom! I wish I could've found the picture of me with similar glasses just to give Ed something to really laugh about.






---------------------------------------------------------------------



Mom with her mom and dad...





--------------------------------------------------------------------------



Mom with Katie. I don't like this picture of Katie, but it's a good one of Mom...





--------------------------------------------------------------------



Mom and Katie (much better of Katie)...



------------------------------------------------------------------



Mom, Isaac and Hannah...



--------------------------------------------------------------------------



Mom and Hailey giving the thumbs up because Mom had finally finished the custom-designed, custom-made Laura Ashley window treatments for my bedroom. Too bad you can't see how beautifully they turned out in this picture...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've posted this picture before, but here it is again since I like it...





Happy belated birthday. I hope you're refreshingly cool in Alaska. By the way, Kathleeny-beany, she was at the Alaska State Fair yesterday. I couldn't help but think that you two might have run into each other without knowing it if only your back wasn't causing you such grief!

No comments: