Friday, July 25, 2008

Vacation Plan B

As I mentioned earlier, we originally intended to camp up the mountain from Breckenridge. When we arrived in Breckenridge, the town was hopping, tourists walking between shops that sat tightly against each other, a beer festival coming to a close (darn! just missed it), diners sitting outside for an early supper in the cool sunshine amidst daisies, pansies and columbine.

We drove up and down Main street three times before finally finding the visitor's center and procuring a map of local camp areas. We drove another hour searching for our campsight and determined the area had been closed due to the pine beetle epidemic that has changed the mountainside from a lush green to a dead rust.


Before I go on, acquaint yourself with Summit and Grand counties:



We took I-70 west to the Frisco exit and on south to Breckenridge. When we couldn't find our desired campsite, we headed north to Kremmling. From there we drove east to Hot Sulphur Springs where we stopped to see if they had vacancies. A soak in the springs sounded wonderful, but no vacancies. After the girls used their bathroom, we continued east until I heard tears from the back seat as we reached Tabernash. Evidently Katie and Hailey left the new beany babies that Ardy had given them back in the Hot Sulphur Springs bathroom. By this time the sun had fallen behind the mountains, the temperature had dropped into the fifties and there was no way we were turning back at that point for the beany babies. Maybe tomorrow.

We finally decided to get a hotel room in Winter Park. Secretly, I was thrilled. Winter Park/Fraser is my favorite area in the Colorado Rockies. I felt at home. Too bad we had to take the long route to get there. Or maybe not. The drive was magnificent!

As I undressed for bed...a real bed...I noticed this on my stomach.



A red, itchy rash resulted from the Sulfa antibiotic I had been taking for the past week. Wonderful. The fun didn't stop there. The next day my throat began to swell shut and Carl had to take me to the Granby emergency room where I received a shot (yes a shot for the needle weenie) of epinepherine and lots of IV fluids. What a way to start vacation.

On the upside, the girls had fun at Granby's awesome park while I waited for my body to return to a normal state. These pictures do not do the park justice. Maybe we can return once more and take pictures that show the enormous amount of wooden play structures the park provides.





The ER doctor informed me that sulfa drugs can stay in my system for several days, so if I felt that lump-in-my-throat-closing-up feeling again, I was to call 911 or return to the ER. Comforting, huh? I spent the next 24 hours alternating between panic that I might be feeling my throat's final closure and sleep induced by the Benadryl I took to counteract the fear.

Here's the idiotic part. Before my first feeling of panic, assuming all was well, we chose our primitive campsite, eleven miles up the mountain, a journey that took just over 35 minutes. What were we thinking???

Like I told you, the Tahoe was LOADED!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Setting up camp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



This picture tells quite a story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


Katie by the stream that runs just below our campsite. The sound is calming and peaceful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katie and Hannah by the same stream

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


OK, can you tell I especially like the stream?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once we set up camp, Carl took the three girls on a hike while I remained behind to read and relax. All went well and Carl took some excellent pictures, but I'll have to wait to post them next time. All is well!

By the way, this is a "scheduled" post that I actually wrote on July 23. I won't have access to my computer before Saturday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE comments, but please understand if I don't reply to your comments immediately.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody. I have been enjoying your blogs. Sounds like a very eventful week. In spite of all the happenings, it sounds like fun and I sure hope some relaxation also. Hang in there and enjoy. Love , Bob.

Unknown said...

hi angela ~

i love being by a stream or creek, too. so soothing, so peaceful!

glad you are feeling better and back to normal.

take care,
kathleenybeany :)

Tara R. said...

I hope you all have a fabulous camping trip and no more surprises happen. Great pix!

Laurie said...

You are utterly, utterly intrepid! I remember your comments about letting Carl push you in a chair around the zoo,so that your girls would look back on their childhood with that memory. Here's another round for the memory books, huh? At least you found a place-- AND a stream... You are such an inspiration. Sorry about that ICKY rash. xoxox

Aunt Julie said...

What a great camping adventure! But that rash didn't look like so much fun...BTW, please drop by soon and join our effort to get Uncle Lynn and Pop'rs on Oprah! We're doing an e-mail campaign as part of our Great Pop'rs Giveaway, and you can help! Uncle Lynn and Pop'rs on Oprah? I have my fingers crossed...

Angela said...

Hi Bob! Yea! You commented! Yes, all went well, though I need a vacation from my vacation! The memories made it all worthwhile.

Angela said...

Kathleen: The creek sounds were incredibly soothing and provided the "white noise" I usually achieve with a fan...otherwise I would've heard every creak in the night.

"Normal?" Now that's something I haven't been called in a long time! :)

Angela said...

Tara: I know what I will do differently next time, but all-in-all "fabulous" is a perfect adjective!

Angela said...

Hi Laurie! "Intrepid." I love it! At one point in our camping trip the girls made me a crown of flowers (pictures forthcoming) and called me "queen." Now I will require that they call me Intrepid Queen. hee hee

How was SF? I keep checking your blog for an update!

Angela said...

Veggie Mom: I'll do my best to have you Oprah bound. I quickly checked out your blog to sign up for the giveaway, but got lost. Now that I'm home, I'll give it a better try.

The rash was the worst, but it'll make for some laughs in later years. You know: "Remember that year mom had that awful rash and we got to play in the awesome park?"