Friday, June 20, 2008

Talkin' to Bob

No, I'm not writing about that.

As a sophomore in college I rented my first studio apartment. At the time Bob lived in the same apartments. We met outside at the picnic tables in the shared courtyard and struck up a conversation. I was 19, he was...let me think...somewhere around 54? 58? Newly divorced. The late summer nights were still long and humid and we saw nightfall outside together many evenings as we got to know and love each other.

Whatever you're thinking, you're probably wrong.

Bob became one of my best friends, very intellectual, intelligent, open-minded. Over the years we have discussed religion vs. spirituality. We have discussed politics. We have discussed aging. Some days we drove from Wichita to southeast Kansas in the springtime, simply to drive and talk and view the redbuds and dogwood in bloom in the beautiful corner of the state. Eventually I married (he attended the party at which Carl propsed to me as well as my wedding months later), moved to that same corner of Kansas, and welcomed him as a visitor.

When I had children, we discussed parenting.

Then two years ago we both went through difficult times and stopped calling each other. Neither of us felt animosity, we simply became "busy" or preoccupied. Or whatever. I'm not sure what he would say.

I blogged earlier about my healing summer. Part of that healing, for me, is renewing contact with people who are important to me. I've realized with the tragedies and premature deaths that my community has experienced recently that nothing is guaranteed. I would regret losing Bob. So I called him. We've already visited at length and I'm looking forward to our next conversation and his next visit.

I've been talkin' to Bob again and it's like a balm.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Do you have a list of items for your healing summer? Or, having christened it as such, do you just have the courage and determination to act when a thought passes through? I could do with a PURGING summer, but it's too overwhelming. In fact, the stress of all these hoarded possessions is putting me in need of going shopping...

Unknown said...

awh angela,

this is beautiful. glad your reconnection turned out so positively. happy for you. certain friends, no matter what, you just don't want to let go of.

blessings, kathleen

Angela said...

Laurie: Thanks for a comment that gave me a topic for a blog entry. I so want to purge, but seem to keep stuffing instead.

Kathleen: I'm unbelievably glad to be back in touch. I just hope I don't become a nuisance!