Wednesday, April 16, 2008

WOW--Word of the Week

I didn't intend for my title to be an acronym, but there it is, sort of. I've been typing "wow" in several comments, feeling like a fifth grader stuck on one annoying word. Wow ranks only slightly higher than cool.

However, it relays my feelings about the week thus far. I finally tabulated all of the medical and business miles I drove in 2007. I discovered that purchasing an expensive, energy-efficient, tankless hot water heater in anticipation of a $300 tax credit was in vain because we are self-employed. Who knew that the credit offset taxes above Form 1040 line 50 while self-employment tax is listed on line 58? #$@!!!

My mother-in-law completed more laundry than I even knew we owned. She ran out of hangers, purchased three packages from Dollar General, then ran out again.

Wow.

She also left six casseroles in my freezer, did the hokey-pokey with Hannah and Carl (what a riot!), played cards with Hailey and helped the big girls pick up their room.

Lest you think I'm a complete slouch-slacker, allow me to give a little history. Carl's mom visited regularly early in our marriage to "help with laundry." At first I took it personally, inferring that she thought I wasn't taking adequate care of her son, but never saying anything to that effect. One weekend when she had planned to visit, a friend called asking for my help. I cancelled my plans with my mother-in-law in order to help my friend, figuring it would be a secret relief to my mother-in-law.

Wrong. I soon realized that helping with the laundry was code for I'd like to visit, but I want to feel useful without butting in. Several years passed without my in-law's visiting other than to stop in for an hour on their way through to Branson. What to do? Finally I called and asked her if she could help me.

Don't get me wrong. I needed the help. This was no patronizing scam to get her to visit. But I also wanted her to come and spend a few days with us, with her grandchildren, with me.

So, I've completed my taxes, washed all of my laundry (even that last load of sheets that always gets overlooked because I don't need them), filled my freezer with homemade food and hopefully repaired a damaged relationship.

Wow.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Can your mother-in-law come to visit my family? :)

I really enjoyed your post especially because my mother arrives this Sunday to spend 3 weeks with Andrea, Ryan and I.

Hope all is well.
Eric

Tara R. said...

I love my mom and MIL, but we all live by the 'Benjamin Franklin' method of visitation... 'guests and fish stink after three days...' that's about how long we can tolerate each other. It works for us. :) I'm glad you were able to mend some fences.

Laurie said...

Girl, WITHOUT the RA, you'd have your hands full!!! Remember that post about asking for and offering help? And I know your Mother-in-law got a lot of joy and satisfaction out of being around everyone.
xoxox

Angela said...

Eric--good luck with the visit. That's a LOOOONG one. I hope your mom & Andrea get along!

Tara: I love that quote & try to live by it myself, even with my favorite people. No matter how much I like my visitors, I enjoy the solitude after they leave.

Laurie: I thought of your "bullet" post about asking for help as I wrote that. I nearly linked it...and should have!

Anonymous said...

Great post,

Thanks,
Alice

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Wishing my mil or anyone else for that matter stop by to do laundry and fill my freezer.

Tonya