Saturday, April 12, 2008

Tax Preparation Diversionary Tactics

No, this entry will not tell you how to avoid paying taxes. It will only tell you that, as usual, I have waited until the last minute to complete our taxes. Long ago, back in the day, I majored in accounting and music. Yes, at the same time. Pre-RA. I completed a 500-level tax class and, oddly enough, loved it. Of course, most of the specifics are obsolete, but I've retained an understanding and have more recently completed a nearly-worthless H&R Block class.

Our business operates in three states, which makes tax preparation a little more tricky. We're definitely small-time, but happen to live in the corner of Kansas and easily cross state lines. CPAs want to charge over $1000 to complete our return, and that's after I've gone through the year's bookwork to compile the numbers. Forget that. We can take a small vacation with that amount of money.

So, I've spent the last few days working on taxes. Well, I also finished a novel in two days, but somehow that didn't seem as frivolous as writing a blog entry. See the logic? Me neither. Today I've remained diligent the entire day, though, so I'm giving myself a deserved break. Before I sat down to post I cleared the table a bit and ran across this. It made me smile.




"K" is for "kind." Good so far. "A" is for "agreeable" and "T" is for "trustworthy." I'll go along with that...most of the time, when it doesn't involve work or bedtime. "I" gives me a little problem though. IntelligAnt? Followed by...what? Excagating? What the heck is that?

I feel a little guilty posting this without permission, but Katie's still young enough that it's cute. At least it is to me.

I'm done diverting my attention. Back to the books.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Yea. That "e" word has a clock symbol with it. I am trying to work with it... can't. make. out. message...

Angela said...

He he. I re-read your comment several times because it made me laugh. The girls kept saying what?!, but I couldn't tell them for fear of mortifying Katie!