Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Cautiously Optimistic" About Katherine

I realize this is post number three regarding Katherine. I promise to find something else to post
about...soon.

I attended a prayer vigil last night at Katherine's church, where they gave an update on her health. They have taken her completely off of sedatives, except when they need to clean her breathing vent. They have dropped her ventilation "down two settings" or something about "down two" and are not supplementing it with oxygen. She is taking some breaths on her own.

They have inserted a feeding tube into her stomach and fed her something like ensure, after which she seemed to do better.

She has moved BOTH sides of her body, including the side that was previously paralyzed, though I don't know the extent of the movement.

When they gave her a sponge bath yesterday, she opened her eyes briefly.

The doctors are discussing another surgery in the future to remove bone fragments from her brain, but did not report anything about the remaining bullet.

The church leader reported that nothing had occurred that could be considered a setback (praise God!) and that Katherine's mother wants us to be "cautiously optimistic."

3 comments:

Tonya said...

Yes, I did get an account. I'm Tonya S.-deciding if I want to start a blog or not. Thanks for the updates on Katherine.

Tara R. said...

Thanks for the updates... I'm glad to hear she seems to be improving.

Angela said...

Tonya-yea! I'm glad you have an account & I would love to read a blog by you! You're welcome for the updates.

Tara-thanks for commenting and caring about a complete stranger. Things are looking up.

Bye!