Friday, October 26, 2007

Plan B

As I went to bed last night, I had big plans for today. I planned to go to Joplin and take care of the many little things that have accumulated over a month or so: return some curtains to JCPenney, purchase building project stuff from Lowe's, drop off at Goodwill, do my "big" shopping at Wal-Mart (yuck), etc. etc. Because the girls don't have school today and Carl has the day off, I planned to get an early start and make a day of it. I even thought I might catch a chick flick at the $1.50 movie theatre.

I awoke achy, tired and unrefreshed with an almost imperceptible tickle in my throat. After a couple of cups of coffee, I got dressed and organized for my trip, hoping that movement would produce momentum. No such luck. I'm getting old enough that I no longer know if my fatigue is caused by the RA or aging. Either way, I know my body well enough to know that if I push now, I pay later. The overcast sky, the drizzly day and the fifty-ish temperatures all conspired with my physical condition to keep me at home.


Plan B. Yesterday I made a crock pot full of beef-vegetable soup. Today I poured some of it into a thermos, cut up two green apples, and took it all to my bedroom along with caramel apple dip and a pitcher of water. I already had my book club book (I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou) waiting there for me along with my laptop. I changed from my town clothes into a pair of five-year-old sweat-pants-capris, a long-sleeved t-shirt and cozy, dorky-looking socks. Because I do FLYlady (see flylady.net) and her focus was the master bedroom zone this past week, my night stand was clean, the bedroom floor was uncluttered and the room was orderly and peaceful.


I only had one problem. Did I mention that all three girls AND Carl were home today? Any mom knows that it doesn't matter how peaceful a room is if she is interrupted every fifteen minutes with a question, a problem or even funny information. I just wanted to be left alone. I have to give Carl credit for suggesting I do this:



This is my bedroom door (ignore the fingerprints and whatever-else-that-is). Too bad Hannah can't read.


Today Carl has built a fire in our fire pit for the girls to roast stuff in and has set up a movie for them to watch in the Tahoe (yes, the Tahoe...anywhere but in the house is OK with me). I plan to spend the day curled up cozily in bed practicing the three R's: reading, writing and resting.

No comments: