Monday, October 8, 2007

One Full Weekend

OK. I am officially fried. While Mom visited this past weekend, we updated Katie's & Hailey's room. Mom painted a glaze over their very "Sunny Bell" yellow walls, we painted the trim (color name: Accolade), painted some tall, narrow knick-knack shelves & hung them on the wall, painted one closet, painted both closet doors, installed a new door & door knob, (Carl) built two 12"x12" night stand shelves which attach to the bunk beds, laid down two 5' x 7' rugs to make one large 7' x 10' carpet...what else am I forgetting?

I allowed Hailey to play computer games endlessly (usually limited to 20-minute increments). She and Katie were "bored" because they didn't have access to their bedroom, so even Katie, the self-professed computer hater, was laughing while watching Hailey play a Veggie Tale internet game. I knew Hannah was in the livingroom with them, so I let my guard down.

Let my guard down. Did you get that?

While Carl, Mom & I were busy in the girls' bedroom, we heard Hailey holler, "Hannah! What are you doing with glue on the couch?!" Hannah had found and dumped a bottle of Elmer's glue onto the couch while Katie and Hailey played on the computer twelve inches (yes, inches) away from her.

"How could you girls miss that?"

"We couldn't see her!" they insisted.

What is she--invisible?

Wait...the mystery is solved!!! You know how there is an invisible person who leaves the lid off of the milk, or leaves the door open or a light on...it's HANNAH! We just can't see her!

Considering the amount we accomplished, the resulting fatigue, and the general lack of attention given to children (or anything for that matter) during major projects, the glue incident was minor. All went well, no police were notified and I love the results.

On a more thoughtful level: I am blessed, blessed, blessed to have such a giving mom and husband. Rheumatoid arthritis limits my ability to do the kinds of things mentioned in the first paragraph, but you would never know it by looking at the beautiful bedroom. I join with the newly-painted trim, giving them "Accolades." OK, that's a little lame, but there you have it.

No comments: