Friday, September 7, 2007

White Water Rafting

Have you ever been white water rafting? Me neither. Well, actually Carl and I went rafting on our honeymoon, but very little white water happened and besides, that's been (thinking....) 14 years ago. Anyhow, I can imagine white water rafting, although--barring a miraculous healing from arthritis--I will probably never experience it.

My life feels like white water rafting. Things start out at an even pace and I think, "This is no big deal. What's all the fuss?" Next thing I know, we round a corner and BAM! The boat's rocking, I'm white-knuckling it and gritting my teeth, hoping simply to stay on the boat. I have no finesse and often manage to look like a complete novice (read "idiot"). I'm sure everyone's life is like that on some level. Maybe not the "idiot" part. Having a "special" child (I'm still trying to come up with an eloquent way to say "child with a congenital brain defect") and having rheumatoid arthritis both exaggerate the features of my float downstream.

At times I think the white water will never cease. That's how the past two weeks have been: doctor appointments for children, dentist appointment for me, sick hubby (and that energizer bunny is NEVER sick), special appointments for my special girl who--by the way--pottied her pants twice in one day at school which required a special trip and special conference with the teacher, a birthday party at school that you've read about, and I'm sure I've forgotten something. Today, though, I've reached a calm place. Aaaahhhh. In fact, a friend who is also my mail carrier just peeked her head in the door to say hello at the same time Hannah Savannah ran behind me into the kitchen and ran back out again. I'm in such "que sera sera" (jeez, I have no idea how to spell that despite 3 semesters of French in college...thinking...20 years ago???) mode that Hannah's little trip didn't even blip on my radar.

My friend said, "Bagel? Is that OK?"

Me: "What? Yeah, whatever."

It looks like Hannah's having onion bagels and milk today...and whatever else happens to be within her short-statured reach.

Right now I'm just going to row my boat ashore and take a little siesta.

No comments: