Friday, September 21, 2007

Color of the day: BLUE

I awoke at 4:30 this morning when Carl, in a sleepy haze, threw the bedroom door open into the wall with a BANG! When I realized I wouldn't return to sleep, I hobbled down the hallway, accidentally awakening Hannah in the process. Together we went to the kitchen where I fixed myself a cup of coffee and proceeded to my computer. It greeted me with, "Your computer has saved itself from a fatal device driver error." My computer has been popping blue screens frequently now, like it did before my hard drive crashed just over a year ago. Consequently, I'm especially concerned out about backing it up, so I decided at 4:30 a.m. that I would attempt to back up a few documents. This sounds simple, but evidently I'm more technologically challenged than I realized. At about 5:00 I finally completed the backup process when Hannah came in from the kitchen looking like this:



What IS that????

Blue food coloring. Not the cheap, liquid food coloring, but the higher-quality, pasty food coloring--the same food coloring that has been in the same location in my cupboard for over a year now. Why she chose today to find and play with it, I'll never know. I found blue food coloring on my white tea towel, blue food coloring on the floor, blue fingerprints everywhere.

The fun didn't stop there. In fact, this was merely foreshadowing. Something should have clicked, such as, "Hmm, maybe I need to be more aware of Hannah's location, more attentive."

Nah. Later that same morning as Carl installed a CD changer in an Expedition in our back yard and I picked up dirty clothes throughout the house, I heard someone drive down our gravel drive. When I looked out the window, I spotted a local man in blue in his cop cruiser. Curious, I headed outside, only to be greeted by a naked Hannah on our back patio. She's STILL potty training and when she has an accident, she strips...wherever. Give that girl a horse and she'd be our personal "Lady Godiva."

"Hannah! Get inside and get some panties on!" I scream-whispered as I limped past her to see what the officer wanted. Evidently a concerned citizen had called the police to report an unattended child in our vicinity. Carl had been outside most of the morning, so we’re still confounded as to who called and why. The kind officer shrugged his shoulders and drove off. I, however, obsessed about the whole thing for the next couple of hours. I even drove to the police station to ensure that everyone understood that Hannah may LOOK 2-years-old due to her short stature (a result of the Dandy-Walker?), but she is nearly 5. At that age, I occasionally allow my children outside without direct supervision. How about you?

Blue screens, blue food coloring, blue suits. Someone please give me some blue sky.


No comments: